Sunday, January 29, 2012

Muir motivation today...

 “I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown,
 for going out,
 I found,
 was really going in.” 
~John Muir. 


In a few hours we will pack lunches, load the car and head to Michaux State Forest for a hike.  Our plan is to hike the Sunset Rocks trail.

Before we have even made a single peanut butter & jelly sandwich, I am already certain that while we wander I will wonder:

  1. Should we sell the television now that we cancelled cable or will Kate want it? What about the Wii and the TV stand?
  2. How long will it take to remove the wallpaper in the hall and stairwell?
  3. When will the volunteer call us to schedule a home visit so we can move forward with the dog adoption?
  4. Will Otter like having another dog in the house? How will the cat react?
  5. What do we need at the grocery store today to be prepared for the week?
  6. Should I keep the paper coffee filters now that I bought a reusable coffee filter? Do they even take up enough space to warrant thinking about it?
  7. What are we going to plant in the front garden this summer? 
  8. How can I rearrange the living room to make maximum use of the space only using the furniture/shelving we currently have?
What I really want to do when we get on the trail is concentrate on:
  1. how quiet it is
  2. the smell of fresh winter air and its sting in my lungs
  3. the rhythm of our footsteps
  4. the beauty of the exposed winter forest
Today will be a lesson on focusing and living in the moment. I always feel like I can tackle questions like the ones above after a day in the woods. I can rest my mind while I work my body.

Where do you go when you need time away from constant questioning/evaluating/assessing? Do you meditate?  Practice yoga? How do you calm your mind?

2 comments:

  1. The 1-8 questions you will ponder all the way in the car till you get to the park. Once you step foot outside the car and on some dry brown winter grass, 1-8 will quickly disappear. And you will find that nature has just overtaken your mind!
    I don't have a lot of places to go to unleash my nagging thoughts. But it helps when I go to the gym and just swim and exercise in the water. Then I just wonder about what people think of my boobs bobbing while I am trying to run in the pool! :o/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I go to my craft room...it helps me think.

    ReplyDelete