Thursday, November 29, 2012

It's a wonderful life



I am amazed that it has been nearly two months since I blogged last.  I'm not certain the phrase "time flies when you are having fun" really applies in this situation because I would not describe the past two months as fun in any way, shape or form. It has been a time of challenge and growth for me.

In less than two weeks, this semester will be over. "They" say that this is the most difficult semester of the cardiac ultrasound program. I hope that is true because I am not sure my brain can handle another semester like this one between now and August 13.  The reality of it is... I'll be a vital component in making life-saving decisions. I don't expect this course to be easy. If it was my family member being evaluated, I would want highly trained, competent technologists.

Autumn came and went and I am sad. It is by far my most favorite season and I spent most of it admiring the leaves and trees from inside at the desk studying. Occasionally we loaded up the car and took the dogs to Rocky Ridge. Scott hiked with them while I sat at one of the picnic tables and studied. It is amazing what fresh air does for my mind...  learning seemed a little bit easier out there.

Scott has been my hero and my motivation throughout the semester. He has worked diligently to allow me to remain a focused college student and not have to work. He has never complained when we had spaghetti several days in a row for lunch and/or dinner. He has never once asked why the laundry piles were three feet high. He has walked and played with the dogs, gone to work, maintained an "A" in his college class and found time to do home improvement projects... all while I study cardiomyopathies, congestive heart failure, ischemic heart disease, etc.

The transition to "winter break" has begun. I have no more full-day lectures, one evening class, a few scanning appointments, a chapter test and three final exams. On December 12 it will all be finished until January 9.

I am blessed to have found a seasonal job with Strathmeyer's selling Christmas trees at the York Fairgrounds. I owe a huge thank you to Doug and Laura Smith for their help. I always dreamed of a job where I could get paid to be among the trees, wearing hiking boots, Smartwool accessories, heavy sweaters and jeans.

The biggest change for all of us will be early January when Katie heads to Norman, Oklahoma, to continue her education as an University of Oklahoma Sooner. So far I have been successful in keeping it all positive and being happy that she is able to pursue her dreams. She loves an adventure and isn't afraid to embark on new journeys. She's got this.

My life really is wonderful.

1 comment:

  1. I did not know Katie was going to Oklahoma... Exciting! Life is a grand adventure

    ReplyDelete